Hi, I’m the Head of Engineering at Loka and since we’ll be working together on challenging and innovative projects, I want you to know what will make this a great fit – and why this is some of the most rewarding engineering work you can do.
Loka isn’t for everyone. It’s for people who a.) genuinely love technology and want to improve as a professional or b.) want to work on a variety of startups and make a marked improvement in the world. Hopefully, you’re both, but you must be at least one.
We’re based in Silicon Valley, but we’ve been remote since day one. Last year my team of engineers and designers helped route out hate speech on Twitter, eliminate $1 billion in food waste, launch 4 projects in our own incubator, accelerate 3 startups to acquisition, and still enjoyed every other Friday off. We are fortunate to work with mission-driven startups and Fortune 500s, including Gatorade, Dyson, Blue Cross Blue Shield Institute, and Coca-Cola.
We have a lot to offer. All I ask in return is the best you can give. Join our team, grow in surprising ways, and launch projects you believe in with creative people around the world.
- Manage a multi-disciplinary, mid-size team for one or more clients/projects
- Assist with pre-sales client meetings, project design, and scoping
- Lead technical design of solutions for assigned projects
- Maintain relationships with key stakeholders, to ensure that solutions meet both business and technical requirements
- Assign tasks, have regular follow-ups, guide and mentor the team members using SCRUM methodology
- Provide constant feedback to the team and work on training programs for them
- Participate in sprint planning and make sure it goes according to plan
- Make estimations according to user stories
- Align with other teams to ensure best practices and an environment of collaboration
- 5+ years of experience in development
- 3+ years of management experience
- Advanced knowledge of object-oriented development including software design patterns and industry best practices
- Broad and solid CS foundation knowledge, including software architecture, data structures & algorithms (Big O), and databases
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Team management and task management skills (we’re “we” people, not “me” people)
- Autonomy, adaptability and positivity (fully remote and globally distributed team)
- Proficient in spoken and written English
- Ambition to learn and grow into different industries with a modern tech stack
- Every Other Friday Off - 24 extra days off a year. Our team calls it a life-changing benefit. We think you’ll agree.
- 100% Remote-First - We want you to have the flexibility to work where you feel most comfortable and productive.
- Explore Program - Spend 3 months living in Portugal, Colombia, or Macedonia – all paid for by Loka.
- Relo Program - Permanently relocate you, your family, and your pet to one of our European headquarters.
- LokaLabs™ - Use moonshot technologies to solve overlooked societal challenges in our internal incubator.
- Yearly Upskill Allowance - Feed your burning curiosity and never feel intellectually trapped again.
- Winter Houses - Invite your friends or family to get away for the holidays, paid for by Loka.
- Paid Vacation Days, Sick Days & Local Holidays
- Mental Health Benefits - Premium subscriptions to support the mental health of every Lokal.